Crystal Palace stunned Liverpool by cancelling Marc Guehi’s £35 million ($47m) deadline day move to Anfield, with Palace chairman Steve Parish revealing his side's maiden European campaign was the key factor. Parish stressed that keeping the England captain was crucial for the Eagles’ season, despite the allure of a big-money transfer, highlighting the unique circumstances behind the dramatic last-minute U-turn.
Guehi's dramatic Liverpool transfer collapse
Liverpool had agreed terms with Crystal Palace on a £35m fee plus a sell-on clause to sign Guehi, with the England international even starting his medical in London on September 1. However, the Eagles failed to secure a suitable replacement, with Brighton’s Igor Julio choosing a loan move to West Ham instead. Palace manager Oliver Glasner, determined to retain his talisman, reportedly threatened to resign if Guehi was sold without a replacement, pushing the board to pull the plug mere hours before the 7pm deadline day cut-off. Additionally, Palace were preparing for their first-ever European campaign in the Conference League, which heightened the stakes of retaining their captain.
The collapse left Liverpool disappointed but planning to return next summer when Guehi will be a free agent, as his Crystal Palace contract expires in June 2026. Guehi had been willing to make the move, and personal terms on a five-year contract were reportedly agreed.
AdvertisementGetty Images EntertainmentParish explains why Crystal Palace pulled Guehi move
“It’s a difficult decision,” Parish told . “It’s as simple as that these things are never black and white. I decided in the end that, based on the advice that I got and with what I think, that we would have a better season if we kept Marc.”
He added: “We don’t guess about these things. If you look at it rationally, if you look at what is worth the place in the Premier League, the fact that we’re in the Conference League for the first time in our history, this is a fairly unusual set of circumstances in which to keep a player. If we were fighting between the difference of 10th and 14th, if that was going to be the difference between keeping Marc and letting Marc go, then probably we would have said: ‘Right, we should take the money."
Prioritising Conference League and Premier League stability, Crystal Palace chose to retain leadership on the pitch rather than gamble on a last-minute replacement. The chairman's statements also show that the board considered long-term planning and squad cohesion critical in making such a significant decision in the dying embers of the transfer window.
Guehi tracked by Liverpool and other clubs
Guehi’s contract situation has put him in high demand even before next summer’s transfer window, with multiple elite clubs reportedly interested. Liverpool are expected to remain key contenders, particularly with uncertainty around Ibrahima Konate's contract, who will also become a free agent in 2026. Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayern Munich are all tracking Guehi as a potential free transfer target, giving them an advantage since they can open pre-contract negotiations from January 2026.
The centre-back’s importance at Selhurst Park was emphasised by the failed attempts to replace him, showing the scarcity of experienced defensive options on the market. Crystal Palace’s decision also demonstrates how managerial influence – Glasner’s opposition in this case – can directly impact transfer dealings. Despite the collapse, Guehi remains a highly-coveted defender, with his leadership and Premier League experience making him a priority for Europe’s top clubs.
Even with Liverpool having missed out this time, the Reds are highly likely to return next summer and will hope the chance to continue in the Premier League will convince the England international to move to Anfield. Meanwhile, foreign clubs have a potential edge, as Guehi can legally begin discussions with them mid-season. This situation sets up a high-stakes race for the 25-year-old centre-back, with implications for both domestic and continental competition.
Getty ImagesGuehi crucial to Crystal Palace's 2025-26 ambitions
Crystal Palace will focus on navigating their first European campaign while ensuring Guehi remains fit and motivated. Liverpool are likely to monitor the player’s contract situation closely, aiming to secure him in the summer transfer window without paying a fee. Meanwhile, the broader European landscape, including Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayern Munich, will continue evaluating Guehi’s availability, preparing for the January 2026 pre-contract period that could reshape defensive plans across multiple top clubs.
The Eagles' board must also plan for future transfer windows, ensuring they have contingency options in case other key players attract late interest. Success in the Conference League and the Premier League will partially depend on keeping leadership stable, a decision now exemplified by retaining Guehi. The dramatic deadline day twist serves as a reminder of how quickly football plans can change, with both short-term results and long-term strategy influencing transfer choices.